Monday, January 23, 2006

Shall I Compare Thee to a Rainy Day?

I wrote a little sonnet that worked out more beautifully than I expected. Below is Shakespeare's sonnet to which I drew my sonnet's patronage, followed by mine. Enjoy!

Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Day

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate.
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And summer's lease hath all too short a date.
Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,
And often is his gold complexion dimm'd;
And every fair from fair sometime declines,
By chance or nature's changing course untrimm'd;
But thy eternal summer shall not fade
Nor lose possession of that fair thou ow'st;
Nor shall Death brag thou wander'st in his shade,
When in eternal lines to time thou grow'st:
So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

-William Shakespeare


Shall I Compare Thee to a Rainy Day?

Shall I compare thee to a rainy day?
Your thunderous silence puts a spell on me,
Rough winds are yours as minds are turning gray
As tears collect on veins of mourning leaves,
Though you believe this stubborn overcast,
Your rough winds will sway the clouds quite soon,
And with these winds will blow a sudden blast,
Your mind will open up the month of June,
With calm compared to patience of a pond,
Your eternal summer will be found,
Stand to the sun, and find that concrete bond,
As powerful as lightening to the ground,
So long as the sun shines solely on to you,
Your life will be a sky forever blue.

-John Thrasher


© 2006 John Thrasher

No comments: