Sunday, March 09, 2008

Holy Hairspray, Batman!


You guys!

I saw the national tour of Hairspray tonight at WVU and it was a freaking blast!

Wow, words can't describe how awesome it was. I went with my friend Brooke and we just were obsessed. I made a new friend, Heidi, who was also obsessed with it, so we ended up sitting next to each other and like tapping each others' knees every time one of our favorite songs started.

I was first introduced to Hairspray by my (old?) friend Andrew. I didn't really get in to it the way he did but I'm not really sure why. Then, a few months later he, Laura, and I went to see the movie in the theaters because it was still playing where we went to see it. I "liked" it but still couldn't find the energy to be excited about it. I was going through a lot emotionally at the time so I am sure that that had something to do with it. Anyway, shortly thereafter I started listening to the soundtrack because certain songs were getting stuck in my head. Finally, by November I was HOOKED! So thank you Laura and Andrew for turning me on to a new fascination!

A couple things about the production compared to the movie, because by now, most people have seen the movie and are probably falling in love with Zac.

Corny Collins was not very good. This was the most disappointing thing about the show. I really like the part of Corny and the guy just totally lacked not only charisma, but the voice as well. In fact, there was a part during "(It's) Hairspray" that I heard him crack. This was kind of depressing but, at least James Marsden is holding it up in the movie version.

Tracy Turnblad was awesome! I am a big fan of Nikki Blonsky so I was worried that I would get here and hear this girl and not be impressed but she actually did an awesome job. I don't think she had as much of a range that Nikki seems to have but she was phenomenal!

Link was pretty good too. Believe it or not I liked him over Zac. Zac seemed very stoic and expression-less in the movie, whereas this guy was MUCH more animated. The show version was also a tad better of a singer than Zac.

MOTOR MOUTH MAYBELLE! WOW! I got chills when she sang the end of "I Know Where I've Been," which hasn't happened for me in a performance in a while. She tore that up! The sad part is that Queen Latifah isn't a bad singer, but this woman Angela Birchett, just was absolutely amazing as Motor Mouth.

At the end of the concert they were doing their bows and afterwards Tracy yells, "Let's hear it Mountaineers!!!!!" and the whole audience went crazy as they performed a shortened encore of "You Can't Stop the Beat!"

By the end of the night I had a freaking blast and I am looking to try to go see the same production when they are in Pittsburgh on March 21st! If you get a chance see it because it will KNOCK your socks off!

No comments: