Monday, October 25, 2004

Fads That Shouldn't Be

I am so sick of fads dominating and destructively running today's society. So, I will now discuss a few fads that really bother me in no particular order.

Fad #1 - Livestrong bracelets
These are the yellow bracelets that EVERYONE is wearing and has been wearing for most of the summer. The Lance Armstrong Foundation created them as a fund raiser to help raise money for the research of cancer. They are $1 and they sold very quickly and no one could find them for a while.

However, half of you ignorant and pathetic idiots out there don't even know what the damn thing means and what it stands for. I've overheard conversations in more than one of my classes where someone would be like, "Oh hey Amanda[random name], where did you get that bracelet!?" and Amanda would say, "I got it from my boyfriend, he got 3 of them off eBay for $56.00." And then the person asking the question would be like, "Oh my God I want one so bad," quickly ending the cretinous and dense conversation that just made me roll my eyes so far in the back of my head, my blood vessels burst.

I once had a Livestrong bracelet. Cancer runs in my family, and I thought it was put towards a good cause. I didn't pay $56.00 for mine, because I have dignity. In fact, I don't even have it anymore. I gave it to my friend Mandy one day because her grandfather was dying from cancer and I thought it would be a nice gift. She appreciated it and we went on with our lives.

Fad #2 - Voting when you have no idea what you are voting for.
I don't know about you but I would much rather have people not vote and not know the issues than simply voting and not knowing what he or she is voting for. This goes against P. Diddy's pathetic attempt to create publicity for himself known as, "Vote Or Die!" You may have seen him and his "crew" at such cultural landmarks in television as "The Real World" and "TRL"...both of which attempt to brainwash their viewers. The Real World says, "Let's get a bunch of beautiful people in a house together and make a show about. Oh, and to avoid any kind of trouble from society we'll give them jobs." You know, jobs like working for Bon Jovi, and writing a travel guide for Paris...things that most American people can relate to. Sure, I'd love to be on the show, but that doesn't change the way the editors choose their characters and how they portrey them. I digress.

P. Diddy's "Vote or Die!" campaign seems like just another marketing attempt to get his name out there and to reassure himself that even if his music sucks people will still pay attention to him. Besides, what 18-24 year old with any common sense is going to respond to someone that goes by the name P. Diddy?

It bothers me when people, that before the past couple months, create display pictures of pro-Kerry or pro-Bush in a failed attempt to be original and individual. If you didn't care about the issues a year ago, why all of the sudden do you care now? Not to mention half of these people that "individualize" theirself aren't even old enough to vote. Get involved...but make sure you get involved. Ya know what I mean? Don't let it be something that you're interested in just because everyone else is interested in. And just because you aren't old enough to vote doesn't means you can't be political, but if you can't vote then do something more than...changing your display picture on an instant messenger you downloaded in middle school.

Well I am glad that I have expressed my concerns towards weak and ignorant people. I hope I didn't offend anyone in the process. Have a nice day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have a livestrong bracelet. a friend gave it to me. i thought it was a good cause. but i agree with you that too many people are wearing them just because it is the apparent "cool" thing to do. on occasion, when someone asks me what its for, i say "you know, im not sure, i just wear it cos everyone else does" its getting way outta control. they are apparently making similar bracelets relating to breast cancer research. *shrug*
also agree on the voting deal. people dont care about politics til its election time. they dont follow campaigns til around september. blahhh.

oh yeah, by the way, this post was made me the one, the only, the ever wonderful...jessica loibel. yeah you were expecting someone cooler with that intro werent ya? eh sorry bout your luck! :-P

Anonymous said...

Hey. I know what u mean about the bracelets. I go to AC n see soo many of them its not even funny.. But I do have a Breast Cancer bracelet.. My aunt bought it for me since its runs in my family. I dont wear it but I put in on my purse.. like u said I dont think anyone really understands what its for. i mean buying them off ebay wont give the fountation any extra money.. I got my Breast cancer awareness bracelet from Avon which I know gives the money to the foundations.

This is Beth Hixenbaugh.. Just thought Id let u know..

Anonymous said...

Haha, John, I luv you man! Yeah I agree that it's a fad but I have a couple family members who has cancer so that's why I have one and I know a person who lives a couple doors down from me that has one b/c she had a family member who had cancer. Just to let u know, not it's the pink breast cancer bracelets, which I as well as my boyfriend you "dislike", haha, will be having one b/c of breast cancer in the family. But again, I agree with this fad talk and the others you've posted.