Wednesday, August 10, 2005

The Summer of Understanding

Well, this summer has definitely been an interesting one. As the summers of my youth begin to slowly become less forgiving, I have realized that interactions and friendships are definitely not things to take for granted.

This summer has been full of fun, surprises, hardships, and difficulties. The other day I was telling myself, "Man, this has been the worst summer of my life." But thinking back on it, it wasn't at all. I just say it was because I didn't get to go to the beach with my family, or best friend as I have in every single other year. I didn't find a job like I was hoping to do. It was and still is hectic getting everything together for WVU. And, after thorough editing of my friends, I have now balanced my life with the proper ones that I know will be there for me until the end. There is no better feeling than knowing you have made a choice like this.

I still feel however, that this summer was the most exciting. I made a lot of new friends. I made friends with people with whom I used to be very close. I had some difficulties with some friends. And, I have lost friends. The exchange is, however, worth it, I must admit. It feels good to know who is my friend, and who isn't. It gives me a very strong sense of security, and reassurance as to who I am.

This summer I will declare to myself as, "The Summer of Understanding." I have not only got to know so many new faces, but I have come to understand and know my own very well too. It's been an absolute blast, and I would give anything to be able to relive the fun and friendships I had experienced within the past couple months.

So, as I post my last blog of the summer, I would just like to say thank you to those of you (you know who you are) who made this summer one of the most enjoyable and memorable summers I've ever had. I love you all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well John I have to say you have a way of putting things. You truely are a gifted writer. And I agree with you whole heartly that this summer has been an amazing one. Mostly made by the people who were around us. I was scared to come back to this place that hasn't felt like home for a long time. but I thank my lucky stars that I was able to reconnect with the friends i had and thought i lost. and to make new friends. Its an honest blessing. Not to name names but Im so glad that we are back in touch. I hadn't realized how much i missed you. You are such an awesome person- don't change to much. Thank you for a wonderful summer. It's one I will never forget. ( how can i we have every step we took i a picture)

I've got some friends, some that I hardly know
But we've had some times, I wouldn't trade for the world
We chase these days down with talks of the places that we will go
I've been here so long, I think that it's time to move
The winter's so cold, summer's over too soon
~Raise Against- swing life away

Best Summer ever! I'm gonna miss it. Good Luck at school!