Monday, May 12, 2008

Listen to Hard Candy

Okay so now that I have had time to fully experience Madonna's 11th studio album Hard Candy, I have to say that it is a great dance/hip-hop album. I have a lot of friends that have been hard core Madonna fans. One of them hates it, and the rest love it.

At first I didn't really like the album. I thought it sounded REALLY weird for a Madonna album. But, after I listened to it a few more times I really got in to it. This happens to me with a lot of pop records for some reason. The same thing happened with Danity Kane and Mariah Carey's latest stuff.

Some of the songs that stand out are "Miles Away," "Give It 2 Me" and "She's Not Me." The song "Spanish Lesson" is really out of place and sounds nothing like the rest of the album. "Dance 2night" reminds me of the Beegees which is not a good thing.

At first, I thought the album sounded like a mix of Nelly Furtado and Gwen Stefani. Not realizing that both Nelly and Gwen worked with Pharell who worked on this album. Rolling Stone got it right when they said that Pharell and Timbaland were once the people to work with, but they aren't growing as artists. People can spot a Pharell or Timbaland song now without even thinking about it. What was once new and fresh is now getting old and repetitive.

Anyway, it is what it is. Turns out I love the record, though it is nothing like her previous albums in any way. Confessions remains my favorite Madonna album of all time.

No comments: